Net Neutrality: The Players
Alright, as far as I can tell there are three players involved when it comes to net neutrality.
- The governmentCurrently being pressured to both make and resist from making rules.
- CompaniesIn particular I’m talking about companies and coalitions of companies with deep enough pockets to turn the heads of a number of congressmen. Under this heading are the most vocal agents both for and against net neutrality. Within this category I’m going to define two subcategories.
- Internet Providing CompaniesThese are the guys you pay to use the internet at all. Thus included are the network companies like BellSouth and Verizon as well as others.
- Internet Utilizing CompaniesThese are companies whose business is built on using the internet. The heavyweights include Google and Yahoo. But due to the permeating nature of the internet, this category expands outward to online financial services, Frappr, YouTube, or MySpace.
- ConsumersPowerless to have a real voice in the matter, consumers are a vital part of the equation nonetheless in both their number, and the fact that their patronage controls the other two sections
Ok. The next post should either involve dipping into each group’s motivation, or I may decide to go ahead and jump into some of the comments and stories one can find online… probably the latter.
Filed under: Politics | Leave a Comment